Effective Accident Claim

Effective Accident Claim

Proving negligence after suffering car accident injuries

On Behalf of | May 20, 2019 | Firm News |

Injuries after a car accident can be mental as well as physical. Very often, car accident victims deal with a combination of both. The physical pain and suffering caused, as well as the emotional stress of the event, can often lead to certain types of trauma. Many car accident victims are later diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and they often need ongoing therapy to help them heal.

Injured car accident victims should never underestimate the way that their injuries could affect their lives for years to come. So many injured people fail to take the appropriate action to make the claim for the damages that they deserve. The following are some ways that you can increase your chances of a successful claim.

Don’t let any evidence be ignored

If you were injured at the scene, it is unlikely that you would have been able to collect any evidence in the form of photos or witness statements. However, this does not mean that you cannot do your part in providing valuable evidence.

You should begin by writing down everything you can remember of the lead up to the crash and the aftermath. These memories may be as simple as remembering seeing a coffee cup in the hand of the driver you collided with. A detail like this can be cross-checked with evidence at the scene. If this detail can be proven, it could help you to verify that the other driver was distracted at the time of the collision, and that they were negligent.

Remember that negligence in Connecticut can be comparative

You do not need to prove that the other driver was 100% responsible for the accident to claim back damages. This is because Connecticut is a comparative negligence state. This means that, for example, if the other driver was found to be 70% at fault for the accident and you were found to be 30% at fault, the other driver would be responsible for paying 70% of the damages that came about.

If you are unsure where to begin in your attempt to gain back damages after a car accident, it is important that you take the time to understand the law in Connecticut.